More Importantly, Don’t Let Your Dogs Swim In Water With Toxic Algae Blooms.
A lady in North Carolina lost all three of her dogs within hours of letting them cool off in a near by pond. The culprit, liver failure from cyanobacteria due to toxic algae blooms. Blue-green Algae is the most common to cause this reaction. There is no cure for this poisoning so avoidance is paramount.
How would any well-intentioned pet owner know, not to let their dog cool off in a pond? Dogs eat way worse than pond water and come out just fine. And without any warning signs your left to just make judgment calls. But here are some red flags. If the weather has been unseasonably warm and the body of water is completely stagnant. This is the ideal breading ground for toxic algae blooms.
What Are Some Alternatives.
Even if the dogs don’t actively drink this toxic water supply. If they swim in it, it gets on their fur and when they lick it off then it can still kill them. To err on the safe side just don’t let dogs swim and play in warm stagnant water. Look for blue green algae on the surface of the water. If your dog is over heated think of other ways to cool them off. Hose them down or maybe take them to a river. Natural flow of water break up and disrupt the production of cyanobacteria that make up these toxic algae blooms. I know no pet owner ever wants to see this happen to there animals let along any other. Stay vigilant loving pet owners.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read our post. If you like what you read, or even if you don’t, we would love to hear from you. Please join our email list here. Or if you want to comment on this article, or write your own in our Forum. Please sign in here and if you are new to the site you can register here. This website is not intended to be a blog. We want it to be a place to help others grow and learn from mistakes and the Forum is where that begins. Please tell us your stories.